Sunday, March 18, 2012

Learning songs at home


The part of Primary that has stuck with me the most over the years is the songs. If I am looking for answers or having a hard day, often I will receive comfort from a Primary song running through my head.

I want to give my children (ages 2 and 5) the same blessing. I want to get as many Primary songs and hymns into their heads as possible before they grow up and go their own ways.

This year in January, the idea came to me that we could focus on one song each month this year. We took a few minutes during a Family Home Evening to come up with a list of songs we'd like to focus on this year, with suggestions from everyone. The kids suggested a few songs that they already know, but I thought it would be a good opportunity to review them and learn additional verses. My two-year-old now knows three verses of "I Am a Child of God."

We sing the songs during Family Home Evenings, every night when we do scripture study and prayer, and before naps and bedtime. The kids soak up the songs like sponges and learn the words within a week.

Here are some resources to help you choose and teach songs in your home:

4 comments:

  1. Lovely idea! I'm very passionate about music in the home and the power our hymns have to welcome the Spirit of our Savior in. Congrats on being featured in the DesNews this morning! Cheers, MoSop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting us know about the mention in the news. Didn't know about that!

      Delete
  2. As a Primary song leader, I hope many families heed your suggestions. The Gospel in its purest form can be found in Primary songs, and the brief 20 minutes of singing time they get each week at church just isn't enough to do all of the songs justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by The American Home. Come by anytime. I have enjoyed reading your post.

    God bless,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete